[NPFX Ep. 33] Special Report: The State of LGBTQ Nonprofits — Analysis & Advice
Welcome to The Nonprofit Fundraising Exchange, a podcast from IPM Advancement. Our mission is to empower nonprofits to succeed so they can make the world a better place.
Today’s topic: Special Report on the State of LGBTQ Nonprofits — Analysis & Advice
In the past, researchers have studied much about the people who comprise the LGBTQ community, but little about the nonprofits that serve them. In today's episode, we bring you a discussion of IPM's new report on the current state of LGBTQ nonprofits in the US. We cover how organizations are working on LGBTQ/equality issues nationwide, ways for these organizations to make a greater impact, where to look for opportunities to increase philanthropic giving, and more.
Time-Stamped Episode Shortcuts:
- Introducing the topic and guests [1:02]
- Gaps in what we know about LGBTQ nonprofits [2:40]
- How many nonprofit organizations serve the LGBTQ community? [5:12]
- Parts of the country where the LGBTQ community is underserved by nonprofits [7:16]
- Spending on lobbying has increased but fewer LGBTQ nonprofits are engaged in lobbying [10:15]
- The LGBTQ nonprofit sector has been mostly reactive to threats [12:01]
- How the passage of marriage equality impacted LGBTQ fundraising [14:06]
- Government funding opportunities for LGBTQ nonprofits are increasing [16:30]
- Expanding your funding resources and sources [18:18]
- The value of investing in planned giving and membership programs [20:28]
Special Offer: Free 30-minute consultation for NPFX listeners
- IPM's free Nonprofit Resource Library
- [NPFX] Can Nonprofits Lobby? How LGBTQ and Other Nonprofits Can Influence Lawmakers
- [NPFX] Nonprofit Advocacy Basics
- Prospecting on a Budget? Use Nonprofit Advocacy to Build Your List
- Advocacy vs. Lobbying
Subscribe to NPFX:
Colton C. Strawser, PhD has built his consulting career working with leaders at community foundations, United Ways, homeless shelters, senior service agencies, youth programs, arts and culture organizations, and more. He has trained more than 1,000 organizations and generated over $25 million in government grants. In addition to being a Certified Fund Raising Professional and Certified Nonprofit Professional, he has also completed a Certificate of Nonprofit Board Consulting through BoardSource and is a Master Trainer through the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Dr. Strawser completed his PhD in Nonprofit and Philanthropic Leadership at The Nonprofit Institute at the University of San Diego.
Jack Padovano serves as lead consultant for IPM Advancement, working with nonprofit clients to create strategic, multi-channel donor and member engagement plans. As a direct response professional with more than 30 years of experience in leadership and management positions, Jack has conceptualized and executed mail, phone and web programs for nonprofit organizations, national political candidates, and advocacy campaigns.
Rich Frazier has worked in the nonprofit sector for over 30 years. In his role as senior consultant with IPM Advancement, Rich offers extensive understanding and knowledge in major gifts program management, fund development, strategic planning, and board of directors development.
Russ Phaneuf, a co-founder of IPM Advancement, has a background in higher education development, with positions at the University of Hartford, Northern Arizona University, and Thunderbird School of Global Management. As IPM's managing director & chief strategist, Russ serves as lead fundraising strategist, award-winning content creator, and program analyst specializing in applied system dynamics.