[NPFX Ep. 42] Peer-to-Peer Fundraising: Getting Started the Smart Way (with Sarah Murry and Sadé Dozan)
Welcome to The Nonprofit Fundraising Exchange, a podcast from IPM Advancement. Our mission is to empower nonprofits to succeed so they can make the world a better place.
Today’s topic: Peer-to-Peer Fundraising — Getting Started the Smart
Getting started in peer-to-peer fundraising can be challenging for some nonprofits. But with careful planning, you can launch a P2P campaign that engages donors and increases fundraising revenue. In today's episode, our panel discusses how to start a P2P program from scratch, mistakes and opportunities to watch for, best practices for P2P, and more.
Time-Stamped Episode Shortcuts:
- Introductions [1:48]
- Most important lessons learned by our guests [3:35]
- Advice for getting started in peer-to-peer fundraising [4:37]
- The optimal length of time to run a P2P campaign [6:10]
- Whether or not to utilize a walk/run event [7:29]
- The risk of over-relying on technology and automation [9:47]
- Best practices in P2P and the value of incentives or swag [15:12]
- The importance of recognizing donors for participation [17:52]
- The opportunity to use P2P fundraising for prospecting and enrolling new donors [20:57]
- Strategies for getting feedback from participants [25:04]
- Donor retention rates from P2P campaigns [26:36]
Special Offer: Free 30-minute consultation for NPFX listeners
- [NPFX] Improve Donor Retention and Engagement with P2P Fundraising
- IPM's free Nonprofit Resource Library
Subscribe to NPFX:
Sadé Dozan is the Chief of Operations and Development at Caring Across Generations, a national campaign of family caregivers, care workers, people with disabilities, and aging adults working to transform care. Through her decade-long career in organization resource-building and nonprofit development, she has worked to secure funds for inter-generational campaigns, health and community initiatives, as well as economic development pipelines. She brings with her a wealth of project management experience, institutional and donor relations, and fundraising systems development.
Sarah Murry is a Digital Fundraising Consultant based in Atlanta, GA with more than 15 years of fundraising experience managing multi-million dollar campaigns, generating brand awareness, increasing digital revenue for organizations of all sizes, and developing high-performing teams. Sarah has worked for organizations such as Shriners Hospitals for Children, Autism Speaks, American Cancer Society, and BayCare Health System. She holds a Master of Nonprofit Management (MNM) and brings extensive experience in event and relationship management, P2P activation, cross-channel collaboration, major gift fundraising, solicitation of corporate partnerships, and advocating for children and families.
Rich Frazier has worked in the nonprofit sector for over 30 years. In his role as senior consultant with IPM Advancement, Rich offers extensive understanding and knowledge in major gifts program management, fund development, strategic planning, and board of directors development.
Russ Phaneuf, a co-founder of IPM Advancement, has a background in higher education development, with positions at the University of Hartford, Northern Arizona University, and Thunderbird School of Global Management. As IPM's managing director & chief strategist, Russ serves as lead fundraising strategist, award-winning content creator, and program analyst specializing in applied system dynamics.