[NPFX Ep. 37] 8 Valuable Lessons Nonprofit Fundraisers Learned in the Past Year
Welcome to The Nonprofit Fundraising Exchange, a podcast from IPM Advancement. Our mission is to empower nonprofits to succeed so they can make the world a better place.
Today’s topic: 8 Valuable Lessons Nonprofit Fundraisers Learned in the Past Year
In the final episode of season 3, our panel looks back at 2022 to discuss the most valuable lessons learned by nonprofit fundraisers this past year. Topics include the economy's impact on fundraising, challenges for capital campaigns, attracting monthly donors, donor retention and stewardship, how to use QR codes in fundraising, and more.
Time-Stamped Episode Shortcuts:
- The impact of inflation and the economy on nonprofit fundraising this past year [2:49]
- How inflation hurt the buying power of dollars raised and why that caused challenges for capital campaigns [5:57]
- Why you shouldn't be shy about asking for gifts from your most recent donors [8:00]
- The importance of sustaining donors, the 2 keys to a successful recurring giving program, and why monthly giving programs fail [9:41]
- Frictionless giving and how to use QR codes for nonprofit fundraising [14:27]
- Donor retention and why stewardship is good fundraising [16:43]
- The importance of follow-through and donor data analysis [18:22]
- Relearning how to return to the office, staff turnover, and normalizing mental health [20:22]
Special Offer: Free 30-minute consultation for NPFX listeners
- IPM's free Nonprofit Resource Library
- [NPFX] Why Monthly Giving Matters for Every Nonprofit Organization
- Nonprofit Monthly Sustainers: 8 Tips for a Successful Monthly Giving Program
- [NPFX] Capital Campaigns: Moving Your Nonprofit to the Next Level
- Writing a Great Thank You Letter: The First Step in Successful Donor Stewardship
Subscribe to NPFX:
Samantha Timlick, vice president of client services for IPM Advancement, provides subject matter expertise that covers all aspects of client and project management including direct mail, telemarketing, and digital campaigns. Since 2007 she has managed renewal, appeal, and acquisition programs encompassing more than 200 million total recipients.
Rich Frazier has worked in the nonprofit sector for over 30 years. In his role as senior consultant with IPM Advancement, Rich offers extensive understanding and knowledge in major gifts program management, fund development, strategic planning, and board of directors development.
Russ Phaneuf, a co-founder of IPM Advancement, has a background in higher education development, with positions at the University of Hartford, Northern Arizona University, and Thunderbird School of Global Management. As IPM's managing director & chief strategist, Russ serves as lead fundraising strategist, award-winning content creator, and program analyst specializing in applied system dynamics.